Wildlands Restoration Volunteers

Have Cupe Reached An Agreement

The Minister of Education has just announced that a preliminary agreement has been reached with CUPE. All schools are open on Mondays during normal opening hours. Laura Walton, Chair of CUPE`s Ontario School Board of Unions Board of Directors, apologized to parents and students for the time it took to reach an agreement. Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce speaks at a media availability to announce a preliminary agreement with CUPE in Toronto on Sunday, October 6, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston The new agreement provides services to Ontario students and improves the working lives of 55,000 education workers represented in centralized negotiations by the OSBCU (Council of Boards of Directors of the Union of Ontario). The agreement also ends the current working-to-the-rule action of CUPE education workers and prevents a provincial strike that could have started on Monday. “I regret the inconvenience of your life.” Laura Walton, president of the Ontario School Board Council of Unions, spoke to the media shortly after Lecce. It regretted the interruption that the negotiations may have caused and that the process had taken longer than hoped, but said that public support had helped the parties reach an agreement. Neither he nor CUPE discussed the details of the deal, but the president of the union`s bargaining unit said her side had made no concessions. An agreement was reached with the cupE`s education workers. As a result, all DPCDSB schools will be open tomorrow morning as usual.

The preliminary agreement, which has yet to be ratified by CUPE members in 109 bargaining units, reinstates many of the cuts made earlier this year in education services. . . .