The tool manager (TM) is responsible for organizing, transporting, managing, and returning tools and equipment used on projects. Medium- to large-scale projects have more than one designated tool manager.
Ensure the appropriate tools and equipment needed for the project arrive on time at the correct location. The TM also makes sure all tools are returned to the tool shed in a clean and well-organized manner after the project and that all tools are accounted for after the project.
- Work with the technical advisor to determine what tools are needed for the project.
- Work with the cook team to determine which kitchen gear or other project support gear is needed for the project.
- Help the cook team set up and break down cook equipment as needed.
- Transport tools safely to and from the project site. WRV staff will rent a tool truck if needed.
- Organize and distribute tools efficiently to volunteers at beginning of a project.
- Mentor and train new tool managers after you have gained experience.
- Make sure all tools are accounted for and clean when tools are gathered at the end of a project.
- Inventory broken and missing tools and alert WRV staff to any problems with tools.
- Discard all trash, recycles, and compost at end of project.
- Attend project debrief session to provide feedback.
Background or qualifications
Some prior experience working on a WRV project is preferred.
Training and Preparation
Attend tool management orientation, and/or read the Tool Manager Handbook. No prior training needed.
Site Visits and Meetings
The tool manager attends planning meetings and site visits as needed to fully understand the logistics of the project and the tool requirements. The tool manager picks up rental truck if needed.
Be a tool manager on at least one project per season.
Reports to Project Leader. Works with the Technical Advisor, Cook Team, and WRV staff. Oversees the volunteers helping with tool management.
Measures of success
- Volunteers have the appropriate number and type of tools at the project
- Tools are loaded and unloaded safely
- Tools are returned clean and well organized to the tool shed
- Rental trucks are returned safely and in an appropriate time frame